Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Vacation: Part Two.

When we woke on the first morning of the cruise we were in port at Key West. I wasn't expecting to enjoy Key West as much as I did. In my mind it was just sort of a "spring break" party area where everyone wanders from bar to bar drinking. Instead I was happy to find that it was a gorgeous city full of history, amazing plant life, vibrant colors, and chickens. 


We decided to head out on foot to the southernmost point in the continental U.S.A. and do some sight seeing along the way. We saw some shipwreck treasure, the Audubon House, a kapok tree, and Ernest Hemingway's home (from outside the gate). I snapped a lot of pictures. 







I bought a few pieces of artwork from this man on the sidewalk outside of Hemingway's house. He had some fantastic images, but the one on the left is my favorite. It looks like a bearded cat man. 







After reaching the southernmost point we pulled out an iPhone to determine if it actually was the absolute southernmost point in the continental U.S.A. It didn't seem to be. 






Our last stop before getting on the boat was the Kino factory which was tucked in this little area off of the main road. I bought a pair of fantastic sandals that I unfortunately can't wear now that we're back in the cooler Cleveland weather. 



I would have loved to spend more time in Key West. It seems like the ideal place to take your time and travel around on a bicycle to see the sights. Maybe grab a slice of key lime pie. Or two. Unfortunately we only had a few hours before we had to get back on the ship and make our way to Cozumel. 

More pictures on my Flickr page: here.

1 comment :

  1. omg.... i should've told you to get the key lime pie pops. THEY ARE AMAZING. love all the photos. gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete