Monday, January 4, 2010

A Simple Curve.


I found this movie on Hulu yesterday while looking for something to watch while I crocheted a scarf and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't realize until today that it's a part of the Film Movement collection. I've gotten a few other films from this collection from the library and have really liked them. I'm going to have to pursue more of them in the future.

One of the first scenes in this movie features a float plane soaring over the mountains of Canada with "What the Snowman Learned About Love" by Stars playing in the background. It was really beautiful and want along with the imagery I typically find in my head whenever I listen to that song. It has long been a part of a winter walk soundtrack for me. The movie is about a young man, Caleb, who is attempting to manage the failing woodworking business of his father. While Caleb appreciates, and practices the woodworking skill that he and his father both have, he struggles with the idea of settling into "hippie" lifestyle he has grown up in. The plot develops when an old family friend shows up and changes everything for Caleb.

This isn't your typical blockbuster movie, there are no big stars and I can't say it's for everyone. However, I think this movie is a great portrayal of a complicated parent/child relationship and how they struggle within that. The soundtrack and photography are amazing and I can say that I really enjoyed it.

No comments :

Post a Comment