Tuesday, February 24, 2009

"If your wrists hurt in the morning then you were doing it right."

I was doing it right. Last night I threw pottery on the wheel for the first time since high school and it was completely wonderful. The 5 week course was something I had been wanting to do for a while and so my family gave it to me as a gift for my birthday. The smell of the clay reminded me of working in the Schreckengost studio several summers ago and it put me so at ease. Never before have I been able to throw something on the wheel and have it centered, and stay centered, but last night I did. It felt great to be immersed in creating something that had nothing to do with greeting cards, or a freelance job...it was all me. All for my own enjoyment. At first the wheel I had chosen was broken. The class was full so I had no other option but to sit and wait for repairs to be made. But in the meantime, I had an older woman giving me tips on handbuilding with clay and I made two small birds. When the wheel was up and running again I made two pots that I'm very proud of. I can't wait to fire and glaze everything. I can't wait for the next class.

No comments :

Post a Comment